Saturday, August 25, 2012

My latest Fitness Scheme



I happened upon a huge metal hula hoop covered in candy-colored foam rubber at the 99 Cents and Up store on Ludlow St near Delancey on Manhattan's Lower East Side.

It is a very cheaply made metal ring held together by a block of wood and nails where the two ends come together. It is filled with plaster dust, pebbles and dirt, presumably straight out of the ground in China. How do I know what's inside, you ask? Well the first hoop burst within 2 days of use and my living room was covered in it. The replacement hoop did the same thing. So when I went back for the 3rd hoop, not only did I demand a discount, but I also covered the thing in duct tape in the hopes that it would stay together and the dirt would stay inside. It's been about a week, and so far so good. I covered it in another layer of duct tape yesterday, just to be sure.

Why go to all this trouble? Well the thing is a killer work-out. And though my hips are completely bruised, the inches around my mid-section seem to be melting off. And hooping is fun. The more you do it, the more control you gain and the stronger your core becomes.

Check out the video above. Remember, just 3 weeks ago I could barely keep the thing off the ground for more than a handful of revolutions...

3 comments:

  1. Hooping is great for you. You can get quality (heavier, more stable) materials from a hardware store and make a hoop that'll fit you perfectly and give more resistance for toning. Now I want a hula-hoop again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Hadley, as luck would have it the hoop busted yesterday in 2 places! Looks like I'll be heading down to my local hardware store very soon. Pics of the new, improved, hand-hewn hoop to come...

      Delete
  2. And if you are forging your own hoop, I hear that when it stands on the floor at your feet, it should reach somewhere between your hip and your bottom rib.... Happy hooping!

    ReplyDelete