Friday, October 12, 2012

The City's Best Muffin

Recently on a walk from Tribeca, I cut through China Town on my way to the Lower East Side. It's no surprise that certain parts of China Town at certain times of day smell bad. Fish market deliveries? This was one of those times.

But as I was walking I found an olfactory oasis. I stopped dead in my tracks when I smelled this sweet scent wafting about me. Then, like a bloodhound I spun around and followed my nose back to a small and nondescript storefront whose very existence would have been swallowed up in the painted scenery of Eldridge Street were it not for that glorious AROMA. Said oasis turned out to be called Panade Puffs and Pastries. The smell had been fresh mixed berry muffins baking in the oven.

After waiting five minutes for them to come out of the oven, I enjoyed an iced coffee and a muffin on a bench out front.The muffin was hot and sweet and light and moist and finished with a thin layer of just-crisp crust. You Must Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment