Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Rainy Night in Georgia's

I have to hurry up and write this before I lapse into a diabetic coma.  I was on a diet. I wasn't going to indulge until Christmas week. But, Reader, I fell off the wagon.
I happened into Georgia's Eastside BBQ tonight simply searching for shelter from the rain, but what I found instead was a hearty hello and an unforced smile from the pert, pretty waitress across the room. I gazed around the restaurant (in what felt like slow motion) to find gingham-print vinyl tablecloths, wood paneling, a rifle on one wall, a huge fish on another, a kitschy pig holding take-out menus and a psychedelic Blessed Virgin sparkling by the cash register, and I said to myself, "this is gonna be good."
Despite the genial hostess and the fun atmosphere (rounded out by heavy metal music and a portrait of Manny Pacquiao) I decided to order take-out.  (Sometimes after a long day, a man needs to go home and eat with no pants on, know what I'm sayin?)
The Pulled Pork Plate includes a heap of slow-cooked (not smoked) Boston Butt seasoned to near Southern authenticity, potato chips, cole slaw, extra (housemade) bbq sauce and 2 sides of your choice. I went with collard greens and macaroni-and-cheese ($2 extra since it was on the Daily Specials Menu, and worth every penny). For the sake of journalism, I also had a Georgia Dog: a char-grilled hotdog with cheese, slaw, onions and diced pickles.  And while I waited for them to prepare it, do you know what I got? Free Sweet Tea. Free. And a refill! (pictured below with a bottle of pepper vinegar)
Even if the food hadn't blown me away I would have gone back for no other reason than the stellar service.  But it did. I shot my diet all to hell and I don't even feel guilty about it.  Tomorrow it's back on the wagon; but tonight, it's sweet dreams with Georgia's on my mind.

3 comments:

  1. by the way they also serve Colt 45... did i die and go to dixie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well , when you and your hot man ever make it to GEORGIA, Id love to hook ya up with some of the GEN U WINE Article . Otter HUGS and BTW loving this BLOG 111

    ReplyDelete
  3. John thank you so much for your support! And by the way I hope my Fancy is taking good care of Miss Satine up there :)

    ReplyDelete